Monday, March 1, 2010

Did You Ever Ever Ever?


In elementary school, my friends and I used to do a hand-clapping game that began like this, "Have you ever ever ever in your long-legged life seen a long-legged sailor with a long-legged wife?" To which we would respond, "No, I never ever ever..."(repeating the verse). That little song came to mind while reflecting on some of the things I have been asked to do over the last 7 years.

“Why do you want to go on this mission trip?” Answering the other questions on the form was definitely a lot easier. I couldn’t think of a really good response when I signed up for Caminos de Esperanza (Journeys of Hope) to Guatemala and I still didn’t have one when I met with the group last Saturday.

I actually think the fewer expectations I have, the better. If I have learned anything at all about how God works, I have learned that what I have in mind seldom resembles His plans. Being a Sunday School teacher was something I strenuously avoided. When I finally gave in, I still had no idea how deep of an impact the experience would have on my faith.

Since that time, a few more things have been added to that list of things-I-never-thought-in-a-million-years-I-would-do, such as call committee chair, church secretary and synod assembly delegate. They seemed to me to be just as unlikely as going on a mission trip to Guatemala with a bunch of people I don't know.

Now, every time I hear that verse from Jeremiah that begins, “For surely I know the plans I have for you..." I almost have to laugh.

3 comments:

  1. I guess you won't have internet access to blog while you are on the trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't that verse end with, "And you have no clue what is in store for you!"?
    I'm the same way tho. And suddenly you're the secretary for the mission rallies. Or president of the ladies guild. Or a mother.
    I hope you have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am told that there are internet cafes near our hotel in Reu, which also has wi-fi, if I choose to bring my laptop.

    ReplyDelete