Sunday, March 7, 2010

Have It Your Way

If you're of a certain vintage, you'll remember the burger commercials from the 70's that encouraged us to "have it your way." Contrast that attitude with this hymn we sang in church today:

1. Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still.

2. Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
As in Thy presence humbly I bow.

3. Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me, I pray!
Power, all power, surely is Thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine.

4. Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Hold o’er my being absolute sway!
Fill with Thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me.

Words: Ad­e­laide A. Poll­ard, 1907

I love this hymn, even though it's a hard one for me to sing because when I do, I realize how very not submissive I am. So I think it's probably good spiritual discipline for me.

Oh, I know myself well enough to realize that while I might pray to be molded and made after God's will, that doesn't mean that I'm really prepared to carry that out when it doesn't quite jibe with what I have in mind. So, while it's easy to criticize the consumer-oriented attitude I observe among other church members, the truth is that I'm no better. I'm so glad that the Lord's Supper was part of our service today.

Though I've tried to avoid having a personal agenda for this upcoming mission trip, maybe by going ahead and taking the opportunity I'll become a little better at listening to the Voice that is not my own and following through.

As we heard from the 55th chapter of Isaiah this morning, "8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord." It's kind of a tough pill to swallow for those of us who like to think we're the ones in control (and isn't that everyone?).

No comments:

Post a Comment