Friday, April 30, 2010

Movin' On To...?

“Of course, you might want to explore why you are bored. Maybe it is time to look for a new position, but maybe it is something deeper. From where might that dissatisfaction come? Is it a matter of changing your perception? Or is the Spirit telling you it is time to leave?” (borrowed from the gals at DirtySexyMinistry)

The church lady has been neglectful in writing as of late. That’s not exactly true. I’ve been writing, but just not here. After having the “s” word suggested to me a couple of years ago, my resistance finally wore down to the point that I signed up for a 6-week introductory online course. Getting those assignments read and responses written has been a little more work than I had become accustomed to doing. My perfectionist tendencies won’t let me fire off the first thing that comes to mind, either, so it takes some time for me to get even a couple of paragraphs composed the way I want them.

The other thing that has given me cause to put off writing is the fact that I handed in my resignation to the church council a couple of weeks ago. I have some mixed feelings about that, so haven’t wanted to write until I sorted some of that out. Some of it might be simply boredom. I’ve made bulletins every week and a newsletter every month for 5 years, with very few exceptions. Since the lectionary is on a 3-year cycle, choosing the cover art is not as much fun the second time through the readings as it was.

Just as Luther says we are simultaneously saint and sinner, this job has been both a godsend and a pain in the rear. It has been a window into the good as well as the bad in the church. Maybe it’s just my own poisoned perspective, but lately it seems like I see more of the latter. Even if I’m wrong, it’s time I moved on rather than let my attitude further affect anyone else.

Naturally, the next question to be addressed is what am I moving on to? That’s one I don’t have a good answer for. If the Spirit is really leading me to use my gifts elsewhere, I just pray I am not so obstinate that I don’t hear (or worse yet, ignore) that voice.

My contemporaries will surely remember Diana Ross' Theme from Mahogany. I don't know where I'm going to, but I do know she sings it better than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment