Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Gift Received


“So… you’re taking off now?” I heard her voice from the kitchen just as I grasped the doorknob.
            There it was. That was my cue.  Initially, this had looked like it might be an in-and-out troubleshooting job. Exchanging a faulty power cord is about as quick and easy as these calls get. But this visit held the promise of something more personal.
            In the years that I have been putting help button units in client’s homes, I’ve become aware that there is very often much more going on than what appears on the surface to be simply an installation of equipment. This has happened to such an extent that it is now my practice to precede each of these opportunities with prayer and the expectation to encounter the Holy in some way.
            Over the next 20 minutes or so, I learned quite a bit about this lady; her community involvements, favorite restaurant, favorite food, where she grew up, how long she’d lived in her home, her maiden name, her deceased husband’s name, and how many children they had together. Lastly, she shared with me her disappointment in no longer being able to enjoy her favorite hobby because of arthritis.
            “What was it you liked to crochet?” I asked. “Open that drawer,” she pointed, “the top one next to the stove.” I nearly couldn’t; it was stuffed so full of potholders, all crafted from a bright palette of yarn. Admiring aloud her work, I lifted up one after another from the drawer.  “This one reminds me of the fields before harvest. This one has the colors of the beach.”
            “You like that red one? Take you a couple more. I have plenty.” I chose two and thanked her for them.
            “The best way to understand sacraments is to think of them as visible words. They are the way that God says, “I love you.” God says this to us in bread, wine, and water – the simplest things of everyday life.”[i]
            Do you see the connection that I do? Since I’m not being graded here, perhaps I can risk creeping a little further out on this limb.  With no one to receive them, my client’s handmade potholders held no value to her. The packed kitchen drawer held hours upon hours of time that had gone unfulfilled. But in having her gift received, a kind of consummation took place.
            “This is my body, given FOR YOU,” “This is my blood, shed FOR YOU for the forgiveness of sins.” “Here you have both – that is Christ’s body and blood and that they are yours as a treasure and gift. Christ’s body cannot be an unfruitful, useless thing that does nothing and helps no one.”[ii]
            Those of us who communicate via text messaging certainly shouldn’t miss Luther’s strong emphasis; the use of all caps is the equivalent of shouting. The whole point of the sacrament is FOR YOU to receive it.  It is through this means that Christ is present with us today, fulfilling God’s purpose of communion with God’s people.
            Listen for it this week. “In the night in which he was betrayed, our Lord Jesus took bread…” That’s your cue that a promise is about to be fulfilled, but it can’t happen without you.



[i] Crazy Talk: A Not-So-Stuffy Dictionary of Theological Terms, edited by Rolf A. Jacobson, published by Augsburg Books, 2008, p. 151.

[ii] Martin Luther, The Large Catechism, “The Sacrament of the Altar,” 64-65, 29-30.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post -- and I'll be reminded as I use my own potholders in that pattern!

    ReplyDelete