Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Toward Better Vision in 2012


Not my house, but it's similar.  More old houses.

You can’t see it, but I can.
  When you pull into the driveway, there’s a big, white two-story house on the left.  Tall trees form a border to the west and the north.  To the right of the house is the chicken house.  It has a little square door on the front for just the chickens to use with a ramp leading up to it.  East of the driveway is a smaller, one-story house.  No one lives in it, but for some reason there’s one old doll that someone left just lying in the middle of the hard, linoleum floor.

To the east of the smaller house is the corn crib, where the diesel John Deere tractor is parked.  It’s louder than the other tractor when it runs. Beyond the corn crib is the hog shed, where the pink baby pigs live. They squeal if you pick them up. Nearby is the long cattle shed. The cattle are standing in a row next to the wooden feed bunks, waiting for their silage. There’s another small shed where a cow with an eye infection is being kept by herself. 

Back further in the trees to the north of the chicken house is a rusty old wagon that’s fun to climb around on, but some of the jagged metal edges are sharp.  Squirrels run around, on the ground and in the branches up above.  If you piled some acorns up at the base of one of the trees and came back the next day, they would be gone.

Coming home from Decorah this past summer with my daughter, we stopped at that driveway.  I could see all those things, but she could see none of them, because they aren’t there anymore.  I saw them with my 3 and 4 year-old eyes, on the farm where we lived before I was old enough to go to school.  But sitting in the car at that empty place that day, it was almost hard to believe those things had been real. 

For you or my daughter to believe that they were real requires faith.  Hopefully you both know me well enough that you aren’t suspicious of what I say.  Our relationship enables you to trust that I wouldn’t try to trick you or deceive you.  You also have to trust that I’m not hallucinating or under the influence of mind-altering drugs.  I could see where you might be tempted to think that if I said in my story that I became a chicken and flew over the trees, because everyone knows chickens can’t fly that high. 

5 And the one who was seated on the throne said, ‘See, I am making all things new.’ Also he said, ‘Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true.’ Revelation 21.5


I’ll be the first to admit, that’s not always a statement I find easy to believe when I hear it.   “See” he says, but often I don’t.  Only with faith and trust is it possible.  Unlike my farm memories, what Jesus is talking about is yet to come, not the past.  He must have known how hard it would be for us; otherwise there would be no need to say anything about the trustworthiness of his words.  Isn’t that what we do if we sense skepticism in a listener?  “Trust me!” we urge them.  I don’t know about you, but it’s hard for me to trust what I can’t see.

We sang “Be Thou My Vision” in worship on New Year’s Day.  I am amazed that, as many times as I have sung or listened to this favorite hymn, I can still hear it in a different way (aside from the lyrics changes made in the ELW’s version).  In this hymn, I think we pray, not for our vision to be improved or made clearer and not for the fulfillment of our vision.  Rather, we pray that Christ BE our vision, because on our own, we can’t see what God has in mind.  Without the light of Christ for illumination, we see only what we want to see.

(v.1) Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart; 
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night, 
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

(v. 5) High King of Heaven, my victory won, 
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall, 
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

It may never be more important to see through God’s eyes rather than our own as it is at this time in our congregation, as we prepare to call a new pastor.  We each have our own preconceived notions of what a pastor should be, of what the church should be.  But we are challenged to look not with our own eyes, but in prayer to trust in God’s vision, even if it doesn’t quite match up with what we were expecting ourselves.

As I will readily confess, the greatest challenge for me is to apply that to my own life; to trust what I cannot see is always a struggle, but I find encouragement in these words from Paul:

As it is written ‘What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
          nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared 
for those who love him’—  1 Cor 2:9




No comments:

Post a Comment