I know it’s time to move on, but I’ve still got last week’s gospel stuck in my head. It’s like the birds that come into the garage and fly around like crazy, but can’t seem to find their way back out.
The risen Jesus appears to the disciples (except for Thomas). When they later try to tell him about their experience, Thomas won’t buy it. “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”
Thomas has already been disappointed once and he is not going to risk looking like a fool again. If the rest of the disciples want to think they’ve seen Jesus, that’s fine, but he’s been through enough and does not want to get his hopes up again only to find out it was all a big joke. I hate looking stupid, too, so I can certainly sympathize with him.
We don’t get to hear how the disciples responded to his hesitation, but we can try to imagine. “I’m telling you, Thomas, we all saw him! Why won’t you just take our word for it? Don’t be such a jerk.”
Well, lucky for Thomas, the next week Jesus comes back to them a second time. This is where I like to play a fun little gospel game that I call, “Things Jesus Didn’t Say.”
Things Jesus Didn’t Say to Thomas
· If you had just been here the first time I went over this material, you would get it. I don’t have time now to go back and review just for you. It’s not fair to the rest of the people in the group who are ready to go on.
· Where were you last week when I was here? Are you going to tell me that you had something more important to do than to be here with us? They all found time, so why couldn’t you? I don’t want to hear your excuses.
· It’s not enough for you to hear from your most trusted friends that I was here? And what’s up with having to touch me, too? Are you weird or just dense? It’s me, stupid!
· I expected you to have faith. I’m very disappointed that you didn’t.
· Too bad, Thomas. You had your chance last week. If you aren’t ready to commit, then that’s just tough.
Of course Jesus doesn’t say things like that. He’s Jesus, after all. Jesus is not like us. God is not like us. Even so, don’t we sometimes expect God to think like we do? At least, we like to think we know how God thinks. I’m just glad God doesn’t think like me.
27Then (Jesus) said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.’ 28Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’ 29Jesus said to him, ‘Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.’ John 20:27-29
My Lord and my God, thank you for your patience with Thomas, with me and with all those who have not yet come to believe. Help us to have that same patience with one another. Amen.

I always feel like Thomas gets a bad rap. He was the only one not totally hiding. He was out doing what he had to do while the others were being scardy-cats. (I'm not really judging, I'd have been a scardy-cat too.)
ReplyDeleteAnd I think Thomas says the words we all want to say. And the other disciples wanted Thomas to accept this huge thing on their word alone, but all of them actually saw Jesus! It's easy to believe in something that you have already had a direct experience with. Maybe as a church we need to remember that when we try to reach out to those who haven't been "in the room" the whole time.
Thanks for sharing and making me think about Thomas some more.
I navigated to your blog via a convoluted pathway and am really enjoying reading through your posts. Thanks for writing!
ReplyDelete